Sunday 11 October 2009

Pierce My Heart Again: Kingdom by Alexander McQueen Review

Kingdom
Alexander McQueen
2003
Jacques Cavallier

Top Notes: Calabrian Bergamot, Sicilian Mandarin, Orange, Tunisian Neroli
Heart Notes: Rose, Indian Jasmine, Cumin, Ginger
Base Notes: French Vanilla, Indian Myrrh, Sandalwood

Kingdom was the first perfume release by fashions 'Enfant Terrible' Alexander McQueen. Created as a feminine fragrance, Kingdom embodies McQueens rebellious style of fashion and was a refreshing addition to the designer perfume market. Originally released as an Eau de Parfum, Kingdom is now available in Eau de Toilette and limited edition Pure Parfum.

Looking at the top notes could be quite misleading as Kingdom is not a light fragran
ce in any way, the first initial spray is a cacophony of citrus notes which are slightly overwhelmed by a strong and persistent dose of Cumin. This heavy blast of Cumin conjures up a sense of warm, naked flesh, of sex and the friction caused by two bodies entwined. This image of coitus is much more realistic and romantic than colder, stark perfumes such as Sécrétions Magnifiques. It would be very easy to be put off by the Cumin, many have said that it is too much and have compared it to bad body odour, I could not disagree more.

Once the Cumin has become more muted (it never fully goes away) the scent mellows to a soft blend of Rose and Jasmin, the florals are exceptionally blended and together with the soft spice they float on the skin for hours before giving in to the lengthy dry down.

The dry down is all about Vanilla and Sandalwood, and a very good Sandalwood at th
at. I find that Sandalwood really comes alive on my skin and it really is part of the signature of Kingdom. Those who were repulsed by the top notes would not believe they are wearing the same fragrance. Kingdom has moderate silage in the heart and base notes and lasts for a good 12 hours on the skin.

Kingdom is housed in one of the most beautiful bottles I have seen, a ruby heart encased in cold
metal. The Parfum is housed in a similar bottle but it has a metal screen
that can covers the red heart, while the Parfum bottle is exceptionally beautiful it is completely impractical and difficult to use.

The Parfum is deeper and richer, the more harsh, spicy notes take more of a centre stage and the perfume lasts an impressive 24 hours. The Sandalwood is stronger and works together with the heart notes sooner and for much longer than the EDP. The Parfum is becoming increasingly harder to find (the scent itself has been discontinued in the USA) and I would recommend picking it up if you come across it.

Kingdom was the first perfume I bought and fell in love with, it was the one that got me hooked onto fragrance. I find that I forget about it sometimes and come back to it after a long hiatus and fall in love with it all over again. It was never popular and for me this adds to the appeal.

Kingdom to me is romance and love at it's most visceral, it's most human, unpleasant and beautiful all at once.

2 comments:

  1. I adore this scent and the bottle and the advertisment. If anyone asks what my favourite perfume is, it is Kingdom (2nd runner up is Mitsouko, pre-reformulation). Kingdom is just like me or what I long to be anyways. All this said, I seldom do wear it,it calls for cold weather and a special occasion.

    And it was also the perfume that got me started as a full-grown perfume lover:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same as you Indigo, Kingdom sparked off my interest in perfume so I have a lot to thank it for.

    ReplyDelete